Visitors since
February 2002
Last Site Update:   
8/26/14  2300 CT



Ribbon Checker


Active Client 6.0
ID Card appts

Common Access card


Goat Locker
21st Century Sailor

G.I. Bill
Navy Cool
Post 9/11 GI Bill
College Navigator
Navy College Program

WEB Mail-East
WEB Mail-West


Military OneSource

National Military Family Association
USA4 Military Families
PCS Moves
Plan my move

Operation Homefront

Navy Federal
2014 Paychart
2014 Reserve PayDays
Clothing Allowance
2014 BAH Calculator
Per Diem Rate Query

Army Page
Army Survivor Outreach Services
Get your Gold Star Pin

OPNAV 6110.1J

Link to CFL Course-NKO
eCigs Regs

Navy JAG
JAG- TV, RADIO, Magazine
Military Court Martial

MWR Liberty

United Concordia

100 Objects
Navy History

Navy Reserve Site
Navy Reserve
Data Warehouse

Navy Reserve
Readiness Module

EDM (Enhanced for Drill Management
ESGR (Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve)
LCDR Beamsley’s Links

DoD Electronic Foreign Clearance Guide

Navy Graphics
Navy Public Affairs Guide
Social Media Guidance
Defense Imagery
Visual Information (VI)

CNRC Forms Page
Navy Rating Cards
For Future Sailors!

NAVY Sports

Military Widows
Suicide Awareness
Voices of Education

Tragedy Assistance Program
Bereaved Parents of USA
Children of Fallen Patriots
Children of Fallen Soldiers
Fisher House
Matthew Freeman Project


Navy SAPR Program


Training Video:
How to create a DTS Travel Voucher

Chief Female 
Chief Male

Enlisted Female
Enlisted Male
Officer Female
Officer Male

Vet Center
Veterans Benefits

Federal Voting
Assistance Program

Navy Cyberspace logo
Another great Resource
for those interested in
a career with the Navy!

I met the POTUS!
Marta NavyGirl Martin

Listen NOW!!

Lamonte Jordan Smith
In Memory of my Son
who died while serving in the US Army.  You are missed by so many.
I love you forever,
Love Mom
























Selected Reserve Guidebook “The Gouge”

Welcome to the Selected Reserve (SELRES) Guidebook. We call it “the gouge” because it highlights the key points that will assist you in being successful as a Naval Reservist. The gouge will help you manage your career and increase your satisfaction along the way. If you have concerns or questions, be sure to use your chain of command to seek help. Additional and updated information is available on Web sites that you find as links in this document.

Index Links

Administration/Personnel     Benefits

Drilling Status/Requirements   Drill Credit/Retirement Points

Medical    Mobilization    Non-Prior Service    Naval Reserve Customer Service Numbers
    Pay    Supply   Travel


·         Travel Status: You are on travel status from the time you leave home/work until you arrive at your place of duty and again until you return home.

·         Itinerary: Your travel itinerary, once your request for orders is processed, will be available online at Sabre Virtually There. The link to your itinerary will be e-mailed to you or may be accessed via the New Order Writing System (NROWS) by clicking on the Sailors drop-down menu; and, then, on Current Orders. The itinerary includes information about your flight, rental car, and lodging/berthing.

·         Travel Assistance: A duty counselor is on call 24/7 to assist Naval Reservists who encounter travel emergencies while in a travel status. The toll free number is 1-877-583-8671 (It is listed, also, on page two of each set of orders). For assistance while not in a travel status, you should contact the AT/ADT/IDTT coordinator at your Naval Reserve Activity. For after-hours emergencies, you may also contact the SATO hotline at 1-800-359-9999 for travel assistance. SATO (also known as SatoTravel) is the government travel management firm with information accessible on the Web at

·         Welcome Aboard Packages: These packages are available from most gaining commands and provide information about travel to/from the duty site. Welcome Aboard packages are especially valuable for overseas travel. The information can often be found on the gaining command’s Web site or obtained directly from the gaining command’s point of contact.

·         Travel Requests/Modes: Travel requests are made through NROWS. In the Request for Travel Orders, a Naval Reservist can pre-select preferred arrangements to include departure/arrival selections: start/travel date, (no later than/no earlier than) time, airport, and special instructions (such as seat, row, or meal restrictions). Modes of travel options include:

·         Passenger in a POV: Reservist is traveling as a passenger in a privately owned vehicle.

·         POV Advantageous to Gov.: Reservist travels as driver of a privately owned vehicle (car, plane, or motorcycle) at a cost less than government-arranged travel.

·         POV not Advantageous to Gov.: Reservist travels as driver of a privately owned vehicle (car, plane, or motorcycle) at a cost more than government-arranged travel.

·         Commercial Transportation: Reservist travels by commercial transportation (plane, train, or rental car) as arranged by SATO/gaining command.

  • Government Transportation: Reservist travels by government transportation (car, plane, or bus) as arranged by SATO/gaining command.

·         Tickets: Tickets will be either e-tickets or paper tickets express-mailed to you. Members generally must depart from and return to the airport closest to either their home or their drill site. Contact your NRA for any required changes to your travel itinerary or a modification to your orders. If you have a problem once you are in a travel status, contact Emergency Travel at 1-877-583-8671.

·         Rental Cars: Rental cars must be booked by SATO New Orleans. You must have either a personal or government credit card and a valid drivers license to obtain the vehicle from the rental company. You are encouraged to car-pool with other Naval Reservists while on duty – ensure that other drivers are listed on the rental car agreement.

·         Lodging: If lodging arrangements have been made for you, information will be provided on your itinerary (If a Certificate of Non-availability (CNA) is issued, call 1-800-865-7286 and have your GTCC or a personal credit card available for hotel guarantee arrangements.). With the CNA number, you will be authorized to make your own lodging arrangements and you will be reimbursed up to the per diem rate. Per diem rates can be found at If Combined Bachelor Quarters (CBQ) or other lodging arrangements appear, you must use those arrangements and will not be reimbursed for any other lodging. If no lodging information appears, call 1-800-865-7286 between 0700-1500 (Monday-Friday) CST for accommodations.

·         Government Travel Charge Card: See Supply section.

·         Travel Claim: Upon completion of your travel, you must file a travel claim (Travel Voucher or Subvoucher, DD Form 1351-2). Your travel claim, original receipts for lodging, rental car, and expenses over $75.00, and a copy of your orders need to be submitted to your Naval Reserve Activity (who, then, will submit them to the appropriate PSD) within 5 days of completion of your travel. Contact your AT/ADT/IDTT coordinator to ensure package completeness and to determine where to send your travel claim. It is strongly recommended that you maintain a copy of all travel claims for income tax purposes. (Electronic travel claim forms and instructions are available here.)

·         Reimbursable Expenses: Typical expenses that may be claimed for reimbursement while on travel include: rental car (if authorized), fuel, parking, tolls, transportation to/from airport/lodging, transportation to/from lodging/duty place, ATM fees, international drivers license if required for overseas AT, official calls, and other like charges. Reimbursable expenses are claimed on the official travel claim. Expenses greater than $75 require receipts. You may reference the Joint Federal Travel Regulations at for more information.

·         Per diem: Per diem is calculated as follows: Per Diem Rate = Max Lodging + Meals. Lodging reimbursement is up to the max rate for a specific city or area and requires a receipt. Meals reimbursement is dependent on whether you stay on base and whether government messing is available. For more information on how the meals per diem is calculated, you can view FAQs for Proportional or Government rates. Reference

      to determine rates.

·         Overseas Travel: Anti-terrorism training is required for overseas travel (See your AT/ADT/IDTT Coordinator.). As soon as you know you might be traveling outside the United States (OUTUS), contact your NRA for assistance with passport, visa, and other document needs related to your travel. Many times official orders and a military I.D. are all that are required to travel. Guidance about foreign country entry requirements is found in OPNAVINST 4650.11F – and in the Department of Defense Foreign Clearance Guide –

·         Frequent Flyer Miles: The Fiscal Year 2002 National Defense Authorization Act allows travelers on official government orders to accept promotional items, including frequent flyer miles. Government travelers cannot accept special promotional items that are not available to the general public.


·         Types: Order requests for Annual Training (AT), Active Duty Training (ADT) and Inactive Duty Training with Travel (IDTT) are processed via the New Order Writing System (NROWS). To access NROWS, type the URL  directly into your Web browser (The hyperlink will not connect you to the Web site from this document.). Also, you may connect from the NROWS link on the Naval Reserve Forces Command homepage at then, scroll down to the NROWS Program, .


·         NROWS: The NROWS application is a Web-enabled process used for application, approval, and delivery of orders and travel itineraries. Order processing will be electronic, as preferred, unless the application is not accessible to the member via the Internet. A SELRES “Request for Orders” in paper form is available through the NRA and, once submitted, it can be processed through the NRA. When the system is down, order processing will be verbal or on paper. Manual/paper orders can be approved by the Commanding Officer of the Naval Reserve Activity (NRA). If any problems are encountered in using the NROWS program, attempt to resolve them through your NRA before contacting the NROWS Customer Support Center.

·         Reporting: Members under orders are directed to report to the Commanding Officer of the designated command and to get their orders endorsed. If for any reason you are unable to execute orders, immediately return them to your Reserve activity noting the reason for return. While performing duty under orders, you are subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ),

·         Original Orders: Before detaching from duty, ensure that you have the original endorsed orders. It is strongly recommended that, once your travel claim has been paid, you keep the original orders in a file at home in case it is necessary to use them to correct a pay or retirement point problem.



·         Types: Most SELRES receive pay for each of the different types of duty they might perform. The pay is broken into three basic categories: drill pay, active duty pay, and travel pay. Drill pay is one day of base pay for one drill (four hours) completed. Active duty pay is one day of base pay for one day of work. All pay is processed by DFAS through Direct Deposit and Electronic Funds Transfer. The current pay rates can be accessed at

·         Travel Reimbursement: You will be reimbursed for approved expenses (hotel, rental cars, tolls, etc.) incurred during a duty assignment. The Government Travel Charge Card (GTCC) is authorized only for approved official expenses.

·         Status: One of the best ways to find out the status of your pay and allowances is to use the DFAS  myPay (formerly E/MSS) site. To access myPay, type the URL directly into your Web browser (The hyperlink will not connect you to the Web site from this document.). You will need to register to use this site.

·         Drill Process Time: Drill pay is processed through direct deposit and should be in your account within three weeks after a drill. If you don’t receive your pay in this time frame, contact your unit pay coordinator. Make sure a “trouble ticket” is issued and you have the number to follow up should there be a problem.

·         Travel Process Time: Travel pay is usually processed within three weeks of receipt of a submitted complete travel claim and is paid through direct deposit. Contact your NRA if you haven’t received pay within a reasonable time period.

  • Active Duty Process Time: Your active duty pay will be processed after you complete your orders and you should receive the pay within the next pay cycle which pays on the 15th or 30th of the month.


·         Life Insurance: Under the Servicemember’s Group Life Insurance (SGLI) plan, each Reservist can purchase up to $250,000 of full-time coverage for $20.00 per month. Reservists can choose lesser amounts of coverage for lower premiums or decline coverage. If life insurance is purchased, dependent children are provided $10,000 in coverage free of charge. Up to $100,000 in coverage for a Reservist’s spouse is available, also, at additional cost. You sign up for SGLI at your Reserve activity. For more information, see

·         Education: The Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve, (MGIB-SR) provides up to 36 months of educational assistance for Reservists who incur a six-year obligation and maintain satisfactory drill participation. Rates are paid according to status (full-time, half-time, etc.) and program (college, apprenticeship, vocational programs, etc.) The maximum amount is currently about $250 per month, and increases with cost-of-living raises each year. Benefits cover both undergraduate and post-graduate studies for officer and enlisted members. For more information, see

·         Navy College Program: The Navy College Program provides opportunities for Sailors to earn college degrees by providing academic credit for Navy training, work experience, and off-duty education. For additional information type the URL directly into your Web browser (The hyperlink will not connect you to the Web site from this document.).

·         Thrift Savings Plan: The Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) offers the same type of savings and tax benefits that many private corporations offer their employees under "401(k)" or similar plans. The TSP can provide you with a source of retirement income in addition to your uniformed services retirement pay. You contribute to the TSP from your own pay, and the amount you contribute and the earnings attributable to your contributions belong to you, even if you separate from the uniformed services before retirement. For information visit

·         Promotions/Advancement: Promotions mean increases in pay, authority, prestige, responsibility, and retirement pay. Advancement for Sailors in the Naval Reserve follows the same procedure as advancement for active duty Sailors. The Navy Advancement Center provides advancement in rate products and information. Advancement depends on the needs of the Navy, the Reservist's ability and time-in-grade, plus a passing mark on the advancement test (Training courses are available to help Reservists with advancement preparation.), and CO’s recommendation. Reservists may request a direct conversion to another rating without an examination if qualified for that rating.  Contact your Unit Career Counselor for more information.

·         Meals and Lodging: Enlisted Reservists eat free at the base dining facility during drills. Reservists out of commuting distance (50 miles) are provided lodging Friday and Saturday nights during their training weekends.  Arrangements are made through your unit and the NRA Supply Department.

·         Space Available Travel: Travel anywhere in the United States including Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico—whenever space is available on military aircraft—for a very low fee. For more information, see,11886,57,00.htm.

·         Base Facilities and Base Exchange: Reservists and their eligible family members have unlimited access to Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) revenue-generating activities/facilities (gym, pool, clubs, marinas, golf courses, etc.) and the Navy Exchange. Information on MWR activities can be accessed at Web site Information on unlimited tax-free shopping privileges at military base facilities can be found at

·         Commissary: The Commissary Privilege Card (CPC) authorizes each Reservist to use the facility 24 days during a 12-month period. Reservists are eligible to receive a CPC after completing a satisfactory year. Additional access to the Commissary is available when on active duty orders. Information is available through a Web site at

·         Retirement: Your active duty time and active Reserve time count toward the 20 years needed to qualify for a military retirement package. For additional details visit

·         Dental: The DOD, in conjunction with United Concordia TRICARE Dental Program (TDP), offers eligible Reservists and/or their family members the TRICARE Selective Reserve Dental Program. This is a voluntary, low cost, basic dental program designed to help you maintain good dental health and military readiness. For $7.90 a month, you get coverage for up to $1000 per enrollment year. For more information call 1-888-622-2256 or visit

·         Medical: Reservists are eligible for “Portal to Portal Coverage” for accidents, injuries, or illnesses that occur while on official drills or orders. Reservists with an injury or any medical condition that may affect their readiness must report to the clinic on their next drill weekend regardless of whether it occurred on or off military duty. “Portal to Portal Coverage” means that during AT/ADT/IDTT, SELRES are covered for medical emergencies from their official home to their drill site and from their drill site to their home. Members of the Reserves and National Guard who are called to active duty will be eligible for health care benefits under TRICARE, just like other active-duty service members. Their families will also become eligible for TRICARE benefits, if the military sponsor's active-duty orders are for a long-enough period of time. For additional details visit

Drilling Status/Requirements

·         Types of Training

  • IDT – Inactive Duty Training: Training typically done on weekends with two four-hour drill periods per day, performed at an individual’s normal drill site. No orders are needed for IDT.
  • IDTT – Inactive Duty Training with Travel: Same as IDT except that travel beyond 100 miles from your drill site or home is authorized to perform training away from an individual’s normal drill site. Orders are required to perform IDTT.
  • AT – Annual Training: A period of active duty, typically 12 to 17 days in length which individual Selected Reservists are authorized and required to perform each year in order to achieve a qualifying year for retirement. Orders are always required when performing AT.
  • ADT – Active Duty Training: An additional period of active duty, which may be authorized, for training, schools, or gaining command support. Travel may or may not be authorized for ADT; however, orders are always required.
  • ADSW – Active Duty for Special Work: An additional period of active duty sponsored by a gaining command for periods up to 179 days. Travel may or may not be authorized for ADT; however, orders are always required.

·         PSRC – Presidential Selected Reserve Call-Up (often called Presidential Recall): a recall to active duty for up to 270 days, by order of the President of the United States. Orders are required

·         Types of Drill

  • Regular Scheduled Drill: IDTs performed per published schedule and established in advance.
  • Flex Drill (Flex): Regular IDTs authorized by the Unit CO that are performed outside the normally scheduled drill times to allow Reservists to complete formal schooling or provide peacetime support. Unit COs may authorize a maximum of 40 flex IDTs per fiscal year. Unit members must sign Page 13 entries acknowledging the Flex Drill policy.
  • Incremental Drill: Provides the opportunity for unit personnel to receive drill credit and pay for performing contributory support for their gaining commands in incremental periods until four hours are accrued. Gaining Commands may request up to 40 incremental drill periods per fiscal year. Unit COs will approve and provide written authorization for Incremental Drill and a NAVRES 1570/16 form will be used to document incremental IDT periods. Unit COs must endorse the form and forward it to the NRA for processing.
  • Rescheduled Drill (RS):
  • Regular IDTs performed on a different date or at a different location from the published unit IDT schedule. This could be due to an AT/ADT conflict or to accomplish specific training for the “needs of the Navy.” 
  • May not be scheduled after the regularly scheduled drill.
  • Additional Training Periods (ATP): Additional paid drill periods authorized by Commander, Naval Reserve Forces (CNRF), for specific units/billets to support a unit’s specific mobilization mission. A maximum of 12 ATPs may be authorized each fiscal year.
  • Additional Flight Training Period (AFTP): Additional paid drills for Aircrews and Combat Aircrew training to attain and maintain flying proficiency. A maximum of 48 AFTPs may be authorized each fiscal year.

·         Readiness Management Periods (RMP): Additional paid drills used to support day-to-day unit operation and accomplish unit administration, training preparation, support activities, and maintenance functions. RMP cannot be performed on the same day as any other IDT and only one RMP may be credited per day. A maximum of 24 RMPs may be authorized each fiscal year.

·         IDT Duration: Paid IDT periods will be at least four hours in length. Non-paid IDT periods will be at least three hours in length. If two IDT periods are performed in a single day they each must be at least four hours in length. No more than two IDTs may be performed in a 24-hour period.

·         Drill Requirements: Members must complete a minimum of 40 drills for satisfactory participation in an anniversary year to attain a qualifying year for retirement (See additional details for retirement credit under Administration/Personnel.). Individuals who miss drill without prior approval or authorized absence will receive a “U” (unexcused absence) for those drill periods missed. Exceeding 8 “U” drills over any rolling 12-month period would be considered a failure to maintain satisfactory participation and may result in administrative action.

·         Satisfactory Participation:

  • Must attend 85% of regular scheduled IDT periods.
  • Perform 12 days AT each fiscal year.
  • Report for physical exams and provide medical info as required.
  • Provide current address, home and work phone numbers.
  • Notify command of changes in physical status, dependency status, and employment status.
  • Acknowledge receipt of and respond to all official correspondence.
  • Comply with involuntary recall to active duty.

 Drill Credit/Retirement Points

·         Active Duty Points: One point is credited for each day of active duty or Annual Training (AT) including travel time. Retirement points for paid AT are governed by the Disbursing Officer's endorsement. In the Continental United States, only one day of travel may be credited for AT. Points for active service are credited day-for-day.

·         Inactive Duty Points: Individuals earn one point for each authorized drill (typically a four hour period) attended in either pay or non-pay status. Points are received for satisfactory completion of authorized correspondence courses. Credit applies as of the date the last satisfactory assignment of each unit is processed. One point is credited for a Funeral Honor Duty for each 24-hour period. Up to fifteen (15) gratuitous points are awarded for each anniversary year during which the member is not on the Inactive Status List (ISL), retired, or on active duty for the full anniversary year. For inactive duty service, a maximum of 90 retirement points may be credited each anniversary year.

·         Online Access to Retirement Points: You may view your retirement point record online via the Bureau of Personnel (BUPERS) Online Web site at (From the menu on the left of the Web page, click on BUPERS On-Line. You must register and receive a userid and password in order to access this site.).


·         ID card: All SELRES are issued a military identification card (ID card). Eligible dependents are entitled to a dependent ID card through the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). ID cards contain an expiration date. DEERS information is available through DefenseLINK - Official Web Site of the US Department of Defense. Additional information can be found in the DEERS FAQ document (in Adobe Portable Document Format) at

·         Service record: Enlisted service records are maintained at your local Reserve center. Updates to service records are conducted upon completion of events. Officer service records are maintained at Naval Reserve Personnel Center (NRPC) whose Web site is available at Reservists are strongly encouraged to maintain a home desk file, as service records are purged to microfiche upon each re-enlistment of military service contract.

·         Reenlistment/Extension: This is not applicable to Officers. Enlistment expires based upon your military contract and as stated on your ID card. You have an option to either re-enlist for a new term or extend your current military contract. Contact your local Reserve center Command Career Counselor for details and rate re-enlistment bonus information.

·         Retirement: You need a total of 20 qualifying years to retire from the Naval Reserve. A qualifying year is 50 points per anniversary year (based upon the date you signed your naval contract), which are earned by drills performed, annual training days completed, and correspondence courses. On your anniversary year, you should check your retirement points online at (From the menu on the left of the Web page, click on BUPERS On-Line. You must register and receive a userid and password in order to access this site.).  Any discrepancy on your retirement point report should be directed to NRPC.

·         Awards: See SECNAV Instruction 1650.1G, The Navy and Marine Corps Awards Manual for details. It can be accessed at 0/1650.htm.

·         Security clearances: Depending on your job, you may need a security clearance. Security clearances require completion of an application. An update is required every five years for Top-Secret clearance and every 10 years for Secret clearance. Contact your local Reserve Security Clerk for further information.

·         Legal (Wills and UCMJ): Reservists should be familiar with the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) and ensure they maintain appropriate conduct. You are entitled to legal assistance in preparing a will or a power of attorney should you be recalled to active-duty. Contact your local NRA for further details and assistance in contacting a JAG officer.

·         Ombudsman: The Navy Ombudsman is a critical communication link between family members and the NRA. He or she is the spouse of an active duty or Reserve member assigned locally at the Reserve activity. Information to provide support to your family is available through the Ombudsman link at The Ombudsman page has links to Naval Services Familyline and Lifelines, Quality of Life (QOL). The Reserve Ombudsman Online Web site at has information on coordination of Ombudsman training, establishment of Ombudsman support groups, and provision of resources and information necessary to make the best decisions for Naval Reserve families.

·         Evals and Fitreps: Commanding Officers will provide Reservists with annual evaluations to report strengths and developmental needs. Refer to BUPERS Instruction 1610.10 for enlisted evaluation and officer fitness report details and deadline dates. Besides the time-in-rate factor, this report will be utilized to determine advancement and promotion eligibility.

·         Billets: Based upon your rate/rank, you will be assigned a billet in your unit. The Reserve Unit Assignment Document (RUAD) is the document that is utilized to assign appropriate personnel. To change billets or units, make a request through your chain of command.



Physicals: You are required to have periodic physical exams. A full (“Long Form”) physical is required every five years and an Annual Certificate of Physical Condition (“Short Form”) physical is required yearly. Both physicals include an HIV blood test.

·         Dental Class 1-4/TNDQ: You are required to have an annual exam that can be performed by a military or civilian dentist. The different categories of dental classes for medical readiness are as follows: Dental Class 1 and Dental Class 2: Acceptable for Mobilization. Dental Class 3: A possibility for a dental emergency exists without medical intervention (such as a cavity). Dental Class 4: No current exam within 12 months or record is missing.  If you are designated as Dental Class 3, you will be placed in a “temporarily not dentally qualified” (TNDQ) status until you are Dental Class 1 or Dental Class 2. Dental treatment is at your own expense. (If you do not have dental insurance, you may get TRICARE dental plan information at the TRICARE Dental Web site ( and sign up for a nominal monthly fee.) If you are Dental Class 4, you need to see your unit or NRA corpsman to schedule a dental examination.

·         TNPQ/NPQ: You are responsible for reporting any injuries, illnesses, and diseases incurred at anytime, to your medical department. Depending on the diagnosis, you may be placed in a Temporarily Not Physically Qualified (TNPQ) or Not Physically Qualified (NPQ) status. For TNPQ, the illness is of limited nature and expected to be improved within six months. When assigned TNPQ you may drill, but not go on AT/ADT/IDTT. NPQ is for a more serious illness during which you are in a non-drill/non-pay status pending the improvement of your health.

·         Drugs/Alcohol: Prescribed medications must be documented in your health record. If you are found to have certain drugs (which may also be presented as illicit/illegal drugs) in your urine and don’t have the proper documentation, you may be subject to the UCMJ and administrative separation. Alcohol use is not tolerated while on duty. If you are having problems in your alcohol use/abuse, talk with your command Drug and Alcohol Program Advisor--DAPA--who can refer you to sources of help and counseling.

·         Injuries during AT/ADT/IDTT/IDT: While on AT/ADT/IDTT, you are entitled to medical care. If you have a life threatening injury, seek immediate medical attention. For routine ailments (such as sore throats or colds) use the nearest military treatment facility; otherwise, use a civilian clinic/hospital. However, it is extremely important that you have your ID card and explain that you are a Reservist on active duty orders. If injured while on IDT, report injury immediately to the medical department. If you fail to do this, you may be liable for any bills received. If you’ve received any medical care on AT (including shots), inform and give any supporting documents to the Reserve center medical department.

·         Medical/Dental Insurance: See Benefits section.

·         Physical Fitness Assessment: You are required to perform physical fitness assessments (PFAs) usually every six months. A PFA consists of a 1.5-mile run or 500-yard swim, push-ups, sit-ups (curl-ups), and stretching. The PFA is graded by age, gender, and performance categories. Prior to the test, you must complete a Risk Factor Screening Form. If any questions are answered “yes,” you will need to be medically cleared or waived by a medical officer for participation. You will be measured for height/weight, and possibly body fat percentage, prior to testing. For more information, see



·         Uniforms: In many cases, E-6 and below are entitled to initial Seabag and replacement issuance of uniforms (Officers and Enlisted will receive organizational clothing, like Camouflage Utility Uniforms (CUUs) and Desert CUUs if they are attached to units entitled to them.). The uniforms should be received at the Reserve center within two weeks of being ordered. Alterations and tailoring of uniforms is accomplished within 30 days of the fitting. Uniforms may be ordered online through the Web site at Additional information on uniforms can be obtained by clicking here on Uniform Matters, or by typing into your Web browser. Also, you can order and purchase uniforms online at

·         Berthing/Messing: If you are located over 50 miles from your Reserve center, you are entitled to berthing any night before two full drills (eight hours). You are responsible for getting berthing reserved for you and for canceling berthing in advance of the drill as appropriate. Messing is provided for enlisted personnel either through galleys (if available) or a contract provider. Officers are responsible for their meal costs. Check with your chain of command for specifics.

·         Government Travel Charge Card: If you travel more than three times per year for the Navy you are entitled to a Government Travel Charge Card (GTCC). Use your GTCC only while on official reimbursable travel orders and only for official travel-related expenses. You may be charged ATM fees for use of your card. These fees are reimbursable on your travel claim. You are responsible for paying the GTCC bill on time or before it is due in full. The account is considered delinquent immediately after the cycle due date. If payment is not made, the card is suspended 61 days after the due date and cancelled after 121 days. Prompt submission of your travel claim and the use of “Split Disbursement Option” will help you avoid delinquency and possible negative consequences.  See your GTCC Activity Program Coordinator (APC) for more information.



·         Mobilization Process: Upon recall SELRES report to their NRAs for activation processing. The NRA establishes a personnel recall file for each Reservist being activated. These files contain recall orders, activation checklists, transportation arrangements, delay and exemption board results, and other information. Following completion of the checklist, the NRA prepares the Personnel Transfer Report. Upon completion of the NRA Activation Checklist and the Personnel Transfer Report, the unit/Reservist is directed to report to the Naval Mobilization Processing Site (NMPS). A specific date and time to report is provided.

·         Reporting: SELRES are required to report within 72 hours of notification, unless assigned to a US Marine Corps Reserve (USMCR) unit. For SELRES assigned to USMCR units, follow USMCR policy for reporting.

·         Activation/Mobilization Checklist:

·         Re-employment Rights: The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) of 1994 covers Naval Reserve members who are being demobilized. USERRA protects the re-employment rights of Naval Reservists if they leave a permanent civilian occupation whether federal, private, or public. Additional information can be found at


Non-Prior Service

·         Non-Prior Service Accession Course: Non-Prior Service (NPS) personnel are identified as those members of the Naval Reserve who have no prior military service. All enlisted NPS personnel who joined after 30 September 1999 are required to attend the Non-Prior Service Accession Course (NPSAC) at Recruit Training Command, Great Lakes, Illinois. For more information, see

·         NPS Training Phases:  NPSAC training is one of four phases of training. The four phases must be completed within 36 months of enlistment. Phase I training is indoctrination and accession administration on the member’s first drill weekend. Phase II training will be conducted on subsequent drill weekends and will provide the required prerequisite training in order to prepare the member for attendance at NPSAC. Phase III is the NPSAC training. Phase IV will commence upon return from NPSAC and is structured to provide Navy military training that could not be accomplished at NPSAC.

·         Basic Training Equivalency: Basic training equivalency is defined as completion of NPSAC and the other three phases of training for a total of 84 calendar days of training. In time of war or national emergency, an NPS member may not be assigned on land outside the United States (OUTUS) until completing the Basic Training Equivalency.

·         Naval Reserve Pre-Mobilization Training: The Naval Reserve Professional Development Center, New Orleans, La., has created Naval Reserve Pre-Mobilization Training (NRPMT), a two-week course that will provide NPS additional military training to prepare them for mobilization. The course is not mandatory, but is designed to accelerate the basic training equivalency requirements for those NPS personnel who have already attended NPSAC and who are likely candidates for mobilization. More information about NRPMT can be found at Web site

·         Direct Commission: The Direct Commission Officer (DCO) program is the inactive reserve direct appointment program established to access qualified civilian and enlisted reserve applicants directly into the Naval Reserve Officer programs. DCO applicants must meet education and experience requirements specific to their professional field. Officers appointed under the DCO program will be required to attend the DCO Indoctrination course in Pensacola, Florida, within one year of appointment (unless another school is specified by the program manager; for example, Supply Corps officers are indoctrinated at the Naval Supply Corps School, Athens, Georgia). Similar to enlisted NPS, DCOs may not be assigned OUTUS until they have completed 84 calendar days of training duty.

·         Enlisted and Officer Programs: For more information, visit the Web site at (Select Opportunities; then, select Enlisted Opportunities or Officer Opportunities.).


Naval Reserve Customer Service Numbers

·         Travel     Emergency Travel                                        1-877-583-8671

·         SATO      After-hours Emergency Service Center           1-800-359-9999

·         Orders     NROWS Customer Support Center      (504) 697-7070 or DSN 647-7070

NSIPS Help Desk                                              (504) 697-5110

·         BUPERS Mobilization Response Cell                                             1-800-346-0217

·         Chaplain Support                                                                          1-800-245-4546

·         Pay                                    Pay Problems                                                    1-877-4RESPAY

·         NRPC                     Mobilization/Force Call Center                             1-800-535-2699

Personnel Services and Records                         1-866-250-4778

·         BUPERS Online Help Desk                                                 (901) 874-4717 or DSN 882-4717

·         Medical                  TRICARE Dental Plan                                         1-888-622-2256

TRICARE Information Center                               1-888-363-2273


      Webmaster: NC1 Marta Martin
          ©2002-2014 **LINK TO THIS WEBSITE**
          This site is not endorsed by the US Navy or the US Navy Reserve
          New Website Logo created by Marty Kidder of Kidder Corp. (the creator of my poker chips!)